April 17, 2008

Week 12: You Mean There's an Updated Version of the Web???



Wow do I feel old! I had no idea we are already on version 2 of the web! Web 2.0 is out there being consumed by the youngsters and those much more 'with it' than me, and I'm still sticking to the internet for email, searches, and only recently blogging, social bookmarking, and using photo galleries. I've really got to get with it if I'm going to take advantage of the great tools available through every-changing technology. Maybe I should sit down with a 'youth' of today and have them give me a lesson in social networking, interactive gaming, and all the ways the internet is facilitating communication today.
It is great to see democracy at work through projects such as Wikipedia (click here for an interesting video about this democratically maintained tool), since sometimes it feels as though we don't see democracy played out in other areas of our lives. With all the information that is instantaneously available to us via the web, it can be a bit overwhelming. But I am interested in at least trying to catch up and learn what all Web 2.0 has to offer...though no doubt that by the time I've somewhat gotten a handle on it, we'll be on to version 4.2, just like with all other technology!

No comments: